These healthy apple raisin pecan muffins are easy to whip up for breakfast and have the perfect combination of fall flavors!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
I absolutely love fall. The feeling of crisp cool air after a long hot summer and the smell of fall treats baking! There’s something about cinnamon and fall that just go together! Unfortunately fall comes late here in Florida, usually by mid October we get a little taste of cooler air! I suppose I’m craving fall recipes because I decided to bake Apple Raisin Pecan Muffins today.
How I developed the perfect texture for Apple Raisin Pecan Muffins!
For my Apple Raisin Pecan Muffin I wanted an extra moist texture that doesn’t taste like a health muffin. No dry muffin will pass the taste test in our house! So I use a combination of whole wheat flour, white flour and old fashion oats in a lot of my muffin recipes. I found through experimenting that using all whole wheat flour was not appealing to my husband, He politely said they tasted “too healthy”, but I really wanted to sneak a little extra fiber in our diets. After a few failed attempts I found a combination that finally worked! Now with these modifications we both love these muffins! I have a great Healthy Banana Oat Muffins recipe as well using this combination of healthful ingredients.
How I keep these muffins healthful yet delicious.
I eliminated oil and butter by adding moisture from the apples, apple sauce and apple butter. Wow! Yes, these muffins are packed full of apples! Not only do they add a ton of moisture they help add a natural sweetness. I find just a small amount of pure maple syrup or honey enhances the flavor and doesn’t make them overly sweet. I make these to give my husband and myself something healthy to grab in the morning before work.
The best part of these muffins is that you can easily adapt them to either what you have on hand or what your family likes best!
Don’t have raisins- use crasins instead! Dislike pecans- switch to walnuts or leave out all together. I just happen to love the combination of apples and raisins with the added crunch from the pecans!
Apple Raisin Pecan Muffins
- 1 large apple, grated with peels
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix all wet ingredients together grated apples, apple butter, apple sauce, egg, maple syrup, vanilla, and raisins.
- In another bowl mix all of the dry ingredients oats, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and pecans.
- Using a spatula, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until incorporated being careful not to overmix.
- Divide evenly into 12 pan muffin tin. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
If you try some different add ins let me know! I’d love to hear what you come up with!!