When I need a quick and yummy breakfast, my solution is my Healthy Banana Oat Muffins. They are not only super easy, these delicious muffins are a healthy breakfast or snack.
The quest for perfecting my Healthy Banana Oat Muffins recipe started after my husband and I got married. My morning dilemma was that I am a regular breakfast eater. I wake up starving, no actually hangry, while my husband routinely SKIPS breakfast!
When we first started dating this seemed absolutely crazy. He says he’s just not hungry when he wakes up. So what do I do? Well, I still cook breakfast because I figure everyone’s gotta eat, right? What seemed to win him over was my muffins. They take about 20 minutes to prep and get in the oven and then 20 minutes to bake. So usually by they time they are finished baking the aroma has lured him to the kitchen.
are banana oat muffins healthy?
I started making different muffins hoping he’d grab one in the mornings and it worked! The best part is he didn’t even realize that they were good for him. I consider that a huge win! I decided to make this healthy banana oatmeal muffins recipe with a combination of flour and oats because I knew if I tried all whole wheat flour he wouldn’t like the texture and flavor. Even with a little white flour there is plenty of oats to give us lots of fiber.
I make healthy banana oatmeal muffins with yogurt instead of oil. Greek yogurt is my trick instead of using lots of vegetable oil. Greek yogurt has lots of health benefits and is much lower in fat.
Also by using a riper banana the more natural sweetness will be added to the muffin without the need of lots of sugar. I use a small amount of honey and I think that it compliments the banana flavor very well.
Can I Freeze banana oat Muffins?
Yes!! These are so easy to freeze. When I have a hectic week coming up I’ll whip up an extra batch to freeze. Always let them cool completely and wrap in plastic wrap and place in large Zip Lock bag. This way you can remove one at a time and defrost in microwave. They warm up so well you can’t even tell they were frozen.
Healthy Banana Oat Muffins
- 3 overly ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl and add the wet ingredients yogurt, vanilla extract, honey, coconut oil, and egg.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients flours, oats, baking soda, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips.
- Carefully mix wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until no streaks of flour remain. A few lumps are okay.
- Divide into equally into 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.