Caramel apples are a fall treat but what if you could incorporate that flavor into a delicious moist muffin! Try this recipe for Caramel Apple Muffins that has tender apples with little bits off caramel sprinkled throughout. Caramel apple muffins are perfect for breakfast or a snack.
Oh I LOVE fall! I think it's the smells of spices baking. It reminds me of my grandmother's house with pies cooling on the counter and all the delicious aromas filling her little kitchen! Maybe those memories are what prompted me to try this caramel apple muffin recipe today. Or maybe it’s because I found the perfect little caramel bits at the grocery store! Whatever the reason these muffins turned out perfect with tender apples and caramel in every bite.
What ingredients are in caramel apple muffins?
To make this easy caramel apple muffin recipe, you'll need
- Greek yogurt
- whole milk
- white vinegar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- caramel bits
When I found these little caramel bits I knew they’d be perfect for muffins. I didn’t want big chunks of caramel in the muffin- just a little bit scattered throughout. The caramel bits are the size of a chocolate chips which is the perfect size for the recipe!
I used a combination of spices. Traditionally cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg are the spices used for apple pie. You could substitute a jarred apple pie spice if you don’t have the others on hand.
What apples are best for baking in muffins?
I prefer sweet apples that will soften during a short baking time. The apples are not precooked so you definitely do not want an apple that will stay crunchy. I usually use honey crisp for that reason. Peel and cut them in small bites for the perfect apple muffin. I also make Apple Raisin Pecan Muffins that use shredded apples instead of chopped if you are like me and want to start all the fall baking now!
Tips for makIng caramel apple muffins
I typically never use muffin or cupcake liners when baking muffins, however for this recipe it is necessary. No one likes scrubbing muffin tins- especially ones with baked on caramel! As my step-daughter would say “epic fail” because I forgot to line with muffin liners for the first attempt of making this recipe. Lesson learned!
I’m sure your family will love this apple muffin recipe! It’s perfect for breakfast, a snack or maybe dessert!!
Looking for more delicious muffin recipes? Try these!
Pin For Later!
If you try this recipe for Caramel Apple Muffins, let me know how they turn out! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! I love ❤️ seeing your creations!
My Favorite Kitchen Tools!
Caramel Apple Muffins
- 2 cups peeled and chopped apples
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup old fashion oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup Caramel Bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use muffin liners to make clean up easier. *See notes
- Peel and chop apples into small bite size pieces. Two medium size apples equaled 2 cups.
- Sprinkle apples with spices and brown sugar. Pour melted butter and honey over apples and stir together. Set bowl aside.
- In a small bowl add white vinegar to milk. Stir in ¼ cup Greek yogurt.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, oats, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Stir dry ingredients together and form a well in the center.
- Pour wet ingredients and apple mixture in center of well into dry ingredients. With a spatula mix everything together just until there is no visible dry flour remaining. Add caramel bits and give a final stir. Be careful not to over mix. Batter will be a little lumpy but this will bake out.
- Divide muffin batter evenly among muffin pan. Place in oven on middle rack and bake for approximately 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.