Pumpkin carving is one of the most popular traditions for Halloween. Don’t throw out all of those fresh pumpkin seeds! Try roasting the seeds in the air fryer for a quick healthy snack!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
My husband decided this year he wanted a lot of carved pumpkins. We carved 11 in total, all with different faces. It's just a fun tradition that the entire family loves. I decided I couldn't let all of those seeds go to waste so I roasted them in the air fryer for a nutritious snack.
Why these roasted pumpkin seeds are the best
Air fryers are the best way to make perfectly crispy pumpkin seeds in just minutes! No need to wait for a conventional oven to heat up!
To roast pumpkin seeds you only need a little oil. I use olive oil but avocado oil, vegetable oil or even butter will work.
To season the pumpkin seeds I like to keep things simple with just salt. But there are many different ways to flavor the seeds. If you are craving more savory recipes add garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder or cayenne pepper. A little is all you need for a cup of seeds try an ⅛ to a ¼ teaspoon for a little extra flavor boost.
There are also spices for a sweet twist like cinnamon sugar or even pumpkin pie spice!
This is an easy snack that has many flavor combinations. If you carve several pumpkins then you can make multiple batches to experiment and find your favorite!
How To roast pumpkin seeds in an Air fryer
Roasting the dried pumpkin seeds in the air fryer is very easy. The most time consuming part is preparing them. Start by washing the seeds in a colander under cold water to remove the pumpkin pulp. Then lay the cleaned seeds on layers of paper towels to dry.
For best results, allow the seeds to dry for an hour before roasting. This will help them cook evenly and get a crispy crunch!
Once dry add them to a large bowl and toss with oil, salt and any other seasoning you like.
Lay in a single layer in the bottom of the air fryer basket. The holes in my basket are small enough none of my seeds fell through.
Set the air fryer to 380 degrees Fahrenheit and set the cook time for 10 minutes. Shake at the halfway point to ensure even cooking.
Once the pumpkin seeds are finished, allow to completely cool. After they have cooled you can store in an airtight container. It is best to keep them in a cool dry place in your kitchen.
- Do not use parchment paper in the air fryer. Air fryers work by having hot air circulate and this would block the air and cause the seeds to not cook evenly.
- Remember all air fryers are a little different causing the cooking time to vary a little. Check a few minutes before the set time and if they need an extra minute return to the air fryer to get the seeds crispy.
If you try this recipe for Air Fryer Roasted Pumpkin Seeds, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
Looking for other great air fryer recipes? Try these!
Air Fryer Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Wash pumpkin seeds in a strainer removing pumpkin pulp.
- Spread pumpkin seeds on a paper towel to dry. Allow to dry for an hour.
- In a bowl add pumpkin seeds, olive oil and salt. Toss the seeds to cover evenly with oil and salt.
- Spread seeds in the bottom of air fryer in a single layer.
- Set air fryer to 380 degrees for 10 minutes. At the halfway point remove basket to shake pumpkin seeds. Return basket and continue cooking.
- When finished allow to cool completely and store in container.