Roasted garlic has a sweet nutty flavor that is the perfect addition to pastas, spreads or soups! Make roasted garlic in the air fryer in just 25 minutes without the hassle of heating up your conventional oven!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Why this is the best way to roast garlic
- Quicker to make than the traditional oven method. It cooks in less time plus there’s no wait time for the oven to preheat!
- No need to heat up the entire oven just to roast a small garlic bulb. Most air fryers are more energy efficient than conventional ovens.
A recipe can’t get any easier when you only have 2 ingredients!! Make sure you use fresh heads of garlic and a really high quality extra virgin olive oil. You can substitute for avocado oil if you prefer. You can roast just 1 whole head of garlic. There is a ton of flavor in each clove!
The first step to roasting garlic is to cut a ¼ inch off the stem end of the top of the garlic bulbs leaving the root end intact. This will expose the individual garlic cloves. Remove the loose papery outer layers off the bulb, still leaving the cloves connected.
Cut small squares of aluminum foil. Place the garlic in the center of a piece of aluminum foil. Loosely wrap whole garlic in foil and drizzle the top of the garlic with a teaspoon of olive oil. Place foil wrapped garlic in the air fryer basket.
Set air fryer to 400 degrees and time for 25 minutes. After the garlic has cooked, carefully unwrap and check for a roasted golden brown color. Depending on the size of your garlic bulbs the cook time may vary. Small heads of garlic may cook quicker while larger cloves may need an additional 5 minutes.
When garlic has finished roasting, you can remove the individual cloves by squeezing them until they pop loose of the paper skins or use a butter knife to work them loose.
A commonly asked question is if it is safe to use aluminum foil in the air fryer? The answer is yes, however always check with your brand and models specific guidelines first.
how to use roasted garlic
When garlic is roasted it takes away the sharp pungent flavor of raw garlic, making the cloves sweet and caramelized. These roasted garlic cloves are a wonderful addition to so many dishes. Here are my favorite ways to use them.
- pasta- perfect addition to pasta dishes, pasta sauce or risotto!
- soup- try this easy Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup recipe that has roasted garlic blended in the soup.
- hummus- add to your favorite hummus recipe or try my favorite Roasted Garlic Hummus
- spread- make a butter compound by combing softened butter and garlic. This makes a great addition to delicious garlic bread!
- salad dressings- delicious added to marinades, salad dressing and vinaigrettes!
- garlic aioli-mix the roasted garlic with mayonnaise to make your sandwiches extra special!
- mashed potatoes- add a few cloves while you are mashing your potatoes for an amazing garlic flavor boost.
How to store
The best methods for storing roasted garlic are in an airtight container in the refrigerator. There's a few ways to do this:
- Store the whole head of garlic in a container for 3-4 days.
- Remove the roasted cloves and place in a mason jar covered with olive oil for a week to 10 days.
- Freeze the entire garlic head or the individual cloves for later use.
looking for other tasty air fryer recipes? Try these!
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Air Fryer Roasted Garlic
- 1 whole head of garlic (can roast 1-3 heads at a time depending on need)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Use a sharp knife to cut a ¼ inch off the top of whole head of garlic, exposing cloves.
- Wrap garlic loosely with foil. Before closing foil, drizzle exposed cloves with olive oil. Pinch foil together.
- Place inside air fryer basket. Set temperature to 400 and time for 25 minutes. Garlic may need full 30 minutes depending on size of head.