Make your own delicious homemade hummus recipe with just a handful of ingredients. This smooth hummus is perfect to serve as an appetizer, spread on wraps or sandwiches or add to your Greek salad! This Vitamix Roasted Garlic Hummus recipe can be whipped together in just 5 minutes using this high-speed blender!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Why this hummus recipe is the best
Making hummus in the Vitamix produces a creamy spread in just minutes! It is much quicker to use a Vitamix than any other food blender. I have been making my own homemade hummus for years and used many different kitchen gadgets from food processors to blenders and nothing has produced hummus with as creamy consistency with such little effort.
- faster and easier than using a food processor or regular blender.
- Makes the creamiest hummus in just minutes!
chickpeas- also known as garbanzo beans, is a bean high in protein and dietary fiber. Chickpeas are very common in Middle Eastern cuisine. You can buy dried chickpeas but for the ease of this recipe canned is the best option.
tahini- is a paste made from sesame seeds that is often used in Mediterranean cooking. This can be found in the International area of your grocery store.
roasted garlic- I love the flavor of roasted garlic cloves. It’s less pungent than raw garlic.
lemon juice- fresh squeezed is best. One lemon should equal about 3 tablespoons.
First, drain and rinse the cans of chickpeas. Add the ingredients to your Vitamix container. Secure lid on the top of blender and remove the small lid plug in the center of the lid.
The key to making the hummus recipe easier is using the tamper that comes with your Vitamix. It is made specifically to fit inside the top of the lid plug so that you can move the ingredients closer to the blades and maintains circulation by preventing air pockets from forming. This eliminates the need to stop the machine, remove the lid and scrap the sides of the inner cup as frequently.
Turn machine to the lowest speed to start and then gradually increase speed. Push chickpeas closer to the blades for 30 seconds or until you have a creamy hummus texture. Once the chickpeas are a smooth consistency, use a spatula to scrape the hummus into a serving bowl. If you want a smoother consistency you can add a few more tablespoons of cold water.
In the past when trying to replicate an authentic hummus recipe, I even took the time to remove the skins of the chickpeas. This is so time consuming and is not necessary for a hummus with a creamy texture!
- For the best result use a Vitamix or other powerful blender.
- If using a Vitamix, use the tamper that comes with the blender. This tool makes this recipe quick and easy!
This recipe is a great basic hummus recipe. I love making my own hummus so that I can flavor it with my preferred additional seasonings. You can add roasted red peppers, sundried tomato paste, pesto, or an olive tapenade. My favorite way to serve hummus is to spread on a serving bowl surrounded with pita bread or chips and fresh veggies. Then make a little indention in the center of the hummus to add your extra flavors, or keep it simple with just a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some chopped parsley and a sprinkle of paprika for color.
Looking for other delicious recipes? Try these!
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Vitamix Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 4 garlic cloves, roasted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- parsley, optional for garnish
- Add fresh squeezed lemon juice, water, roasted garlic, olive oil, and tahini to bottom of blender.
- Open cans of chickpeas drain and rinse under cool water. Add chickpeas to the Vitamix.
- Secure lid on top and remove the lid plug from the center. Use the tamper that comes with the Vitamix to push the chickpeas towards the blades. Blend for 30 seconds increasing the speed.
- Once the hummus is the smooth creamy consistency, it is ready to serve. You can spread desired amount on a serving plate and drizzle with olive oil. Garnish with parsley or other flavors. Plate with fresh vegetables or pita chips. Serve at room temperature.
- Hummus can be made ahead and stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.