Oat Banana Bread with Greek Yogurt is a healthy lighter version of traditional banana bread that has no refined sugar. The moisture in the bread comes from Greek yogurt and overly ripe bananas.
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
I have fond memories of my mom’s banana bread. She would always make two loaves, one with walnuts for me and a plain one for my brother. We gobbled this up for breakfast in the mornings before school or even took it in our lunch box with peanut butter (of course I’m dating myself because this was long before schools went peanut free!)
I decided to change up mom’s banana bread just a little by adding oats, using honey to sweeten and mostly Greek yogurt for moisture.
Ingredients in healthy banana bread
- Greek yogurt
- vanilla extract
- avocado oil
- oat flour
- whole wheat flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
how to make oat banana Bread muffins
This recipe can easily be made into banana bread muffins. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray or use paper muffin liners. Fill the individual tins 3/4 full so they do not rise overtop of the pan while baking. Then shorten the baking time to around 18-20 minutes. Always check with a toothpick to make sure they are done.
Best Add ins for banana bread
I wanted to try this recipe as just a basic plain banana oat bread. Of course now I want to make other versions with all the fun additions!
Here are a few add ins for your healthy banana oat bread:
- chocolate or cinnamon chips
- nuts- walnuts or pecans
- seeds- flax, chia, pumpkin or sunflower seeds
- dried fruit- raisins, dried cranberries or cherries
- spices- cinnamon or nutmeg
- Fresh fruit- blueberries or strawberries
How to freeze banana bread
There are two ways to freeze banana bread. The first option is to allow the entire loaf to completely cool, wrap in plastic wrap and wrap again in aluminum foil or a plastic bag.
The second method is to allow the bread to cool and slice the loaf and portion into 2-3 slice bundles before wrapping and freezing. This is a great method if you need a quick breakfast and want just enough for 2 people in the morning.
Looking for Other Delicious Banana Recipes? Try These!
If you try this recipe for Oat Banana Bread with Greek Yogurt, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
Pin For Later!
My Favorite Kitchen Tools!
Oat Banana Bread with Greek Yogurt
- bread loaf pan
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 cup oat flour, *see notes
- 1 cup old fashion oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bread or loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Set aside. In a large bowl mash bananas with a fork. Add the rest of the wet ingredients, mixing well. Set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients. *See notes for oat flour. Mix well.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour wet mixture into bowl. Using a spatula stir using large circular motion, scraping sides of bowl.
- Mix just until there are no streaks of flour. The batter will be a little lumpy but that’s of.
- Pour batter in prepared loaf pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.