There are so many variations of quiche, the flavor combinations are endless. I love my Crustless Mushroom Quiche because it has a delicious flavor without the calories from heavy cream or a pastry crust. Quiche is also a wonderful recipe for meal prep!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Are Quiches healthy?
A traditional quiche is made with heavy cream or milk, cheese and has a pastry crust. These ingredients can really add a lot of fat and calories. By eliminating the crust and using low-fat cottage cheese, I can make this quiche a little more health conscious breakfast.
Ingredients needed for a crustless mushroom quiche
- olive oil
- egg whites (I used a carton variety)
- cottage cheese ( I used low-fat)
- cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper
I used a carton of egg whites to make it easier than separating, plus there’s no waste involved. Most of the fat in an egg is from the yolk. By using a few whole eggs with some egg whites I was able to give the quiche a great flavor but also make it high in protein.
What can I use instead of a quiche dish?
I’ve made many different versions of quiche but honestly never knew there was an actual quiche pan. I use a glass pie plate but have doubled my recipe for a larger group and baked my quiche in a 13 x 9 rectangle pan. You can even use a muffin pan and make individual cup sized portions.
How do you keep a crustless quiche from sticking?
By giving my baking dish a quick misting of cooking spray, I never have any issues with my quiche sticking. If you don’t have cooking spray on hand, you could use olive oil and just rub a very light layer on the bottom and up the sides of the baking dish.
How long will quiche last in refrigerator?
I love making quiche because it keeps well for several days in the refrigerator. This makes for a quick and healthy breakfast or lunch and only requires a few seconds to warm up in the microwave. Eat your mushroom quiche within 3-4 days.
If you try this recipe for Crustless Mushroom Quiche, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
Pin For Later!
My Favorite Kitchen Tools!
Crustless Mushroom Quiche
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 heaping cup mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Clean and slice mushrooms. Heat a small skillet over medium heat and warm one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once oil is heated add mushrooms and stir to cook in oil. Sauté mushrooms for about 8 minutes or until softened. Remove from skillet to a paper towel to absorb any moisture.
- In the same skillet add shallots and saute for 1-2 minutes being careful not to burn. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds. When finished remove from heat to cool.
- While mushrooms are cooling blend together egg whites and cottage cheese in a blender. In a large bowl add the 4 whole eggs and beat till smooth with a whisk.
- Add egg white mixture, mushrooms, cheddar cheese, shallots and garlic and salt and pepper to bowl with whole eggs.
- Stir all ingredients well and pour into pie plate or baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until top has slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.