This refreshing Summer Watermelon Salad With Mint and Cucumber is perfect for a hot day. Bring this fresh salad to a cookouts, summer potlucks or to eat by the pool for a light lunch. It has the perfect balance of sweet, salty and savory flavors that will accompany any main dish.
(Blue's Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Programs. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going!)- Bobbie
Table of contents
Why You'll Love This Watermelon Salad Recipe!
Summertime is the time of year when I need light and refreshing foods. This delicious watermelon salad is perfect for those hot summer days. This salad is full of vibrant colors and fresh flavors. It takes 5 minutes to make and requires zero cooking which is always a plus when the temperature rises.
This watermelon salad has just the right amount of sweet and savory flavors combined. You get a little of that salty feta cheese mixed with the tangy lime dressing that coats the sweet melon for the most refreshing bite. Plus I love the fresh herbs that are added to the dressing ingredients. It is really and amazing flavor combination.
Make this salad to go along with a backyard cookout, Memorial Day or 4th of July celebration or anytime you need to cool down!
- Easy To Make- no cooking required and if you buy prechopped watermelon it really only takes 5 minutes to make this salad.
- Perfect For Cookouts- Summer is all about backyard cookouts and pool parties. This salad is great along side grilled chicken, fish or even steak. Serve it at a Memorial Day or 4th of July celebration for an easy summer side dish.
- Light And Refreshing- The last thing I want is a really heavy side dish when it is hot outside. This juicy watermelon cucumber salad is full of fresh ingredients that won't weigh you down.
Love Salads? Try These Next!
large bowl- any big bowl or large salad bowl will work.
knife- if you care chopping a fresh watermelon you will need a sharp knife.
microplane or zester- to zest the lime.
watermelon- look for a ripe watermelon. Because the watermelon is really the star of this dish make sure you find a fresh watermelon and make sure it is a seedless watermelon. You can buy a whole melon and cut it yourself or most grocery stores buy already cut melon which makes the salad a little quicker and easier. If serving right away make sure to get a chilled watermelon.
cucumber- I prefer English cucumbers or Persian cucumbers because the skin is thinner and they have less seeds. The crisp cucumber has a mild flavor that works well with the sweet watermelon.
mint-fresh mint really adds a lot of flavor to the salad.
chives-have a slight onion like flavor without being overwhelming.
lime juice and zest- Fresh lime zest really adds a brightness to the salad. Use a Microplane to zest all of the zest before slicing the lime to juice it.
honey- balances the sweetness of the lime.
olive oil- mellows out the acid from the vinegar and the lime juice
rice vinegar- rice vinegar is a very mild vinegar. It is perfect in salads because it will not overpower the fresh flavors.
If using a whole watermelon, cut the melon away from the rind and cut into small cubes. If you are using a prechopped watermelon you will still need to cut the cubes into smaller pieces. Add the chopped cucumber to the bowl along with the cubed watermelon. You could also use a melon baller to make this salad really pretty.
Zest the lime and add half of the zest along with the lime juice, honey, rice vinegar and olive oil to a bowl. Stir well the acid in the juice will help dissolve the honey. Add the chopped chives and fresh mint leaves to the dressing. Pour the honey-lime dressing over the watermelon and cucumbers.
Sprinkle the feta cheese over the watermelon mixture. Garnish with the remaining zest and more mint sprigs.
This salad is best served chilled the same day. The acid in the juice will start to break down the watermelon.
I do not recommend making this salad ahead. If you are chopping a whole watermelon you could cut the watermelon the day before and make sure the cubes are chilled before assembling the salad.
You could also mix the dressing the day before and add the herbs right before drizzling over the salad.
Substitutions And Additions
mint- you can also add fresh basil to this salad or a combination of herbs.
lime juice- lemon juice also works well in this salad.
chives- chives give a very mild flavor. You can also add red onion slices for a stronger onion flavor.
spices- if you want to add a little extra flavor add some chopped jalapeno or red pepper flakes to the dressing.
Summer Watermelon Salad With Cucumber And Mint
- Microplane or zester
- 5 cups seedless watermelon, chopped into small cubes
- ½ large English cucumber, cut into small pieces
- zest of a lime, divided
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 sprig fresh mint plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large bowl add the cubed watermelon and chopped cucumber.
- In a small bowl make the dressing by mixing half of the lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, honey and rice vinegar together. Stir well so the honey dissolves in the acidic juice. Add in chopped fresh mint and chives.
- Pour dressing over the watermelon mixture and gentle toss to cover the watermelon.
- Sprinkle the salad with feta cheese. Garnish with remaining lime zest and sprigs of watermelon.
- Serve immediately while chilled.