Muffins are a favorite breakfast or snack in my house. It's the perfect breakfast on the go that you can make ahead for the week. Rum Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Muffins are a healthy treat and still packed with flavor.
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program.I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links.This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
I love making muffins for breakfast. They are just so perfect with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee. There's a million different flavor combinations that you can choose from which is probably why I like to make them. I can usually always find some variation of ingredients in my pantry that will work for a muffin recipe.
Today I decided to experiment with something a little different, rum raisins and cinnamon swirl muffins. Yes, plump juicy raisins with swirls of brown sugar and cinnamon! What a yummy combination.
Can muffins be healthy?
Muffins at most bakery's are typically calorie bombs. They are loaded with either butter, vegetable oil, and sugar. For this reason I always make my own so that I can control my ingredients.
I choose greek yogurt, avocado oil, and apple sauce for a substitute for butter and vegetable oil. This helps keep the muffins tender without being high in fat.
I also added a small amount of maple syrup to sweeten the muffins counting on the fact that the raisins would add a nice sweetness to every bite. Plus with only 2 tablespoons of brown sugar added to make the swirl it is a small amount when divided between each muffin.
Most of my muffin recipes use a combo of different flours. The reason I do this is to of course make them healthier, but also get my husband's approval. He was never a fan of an all whole wheat muffin so by using a combination of whole wheat, oat flour and all purpose we both love the texture and taste!
What are rum raisins?
Rum raisins are exactly what they sound like, raisins that have been soaked in rum. But don't worry the rum helps make the muffins slightly sweet but definitely not boozy.
It's really very easy to make rum raisins and you'll see this often for rum raisin ice cream. Simply put raisins and rum in a small sauce pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes for the rum to soak into the raisins. Set pan aside and allow to cool down. When it is time to add raisins to batter pour in any remaining rum as well.
How do you make muffins from scratch?
There are really just two rules for making muffins. Always mix your dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls before mixing together. This insures that you’re baking powder, baking soda and salt are evenly distributed and there are no clumps. The second rule is to not over mix the batter when incorporating the dry and wet ingredients. Just mix until there isn’t any more dry clumps.
can I make oat flour?
Making oat flour is very easy and only takes an extra minute. I use my Ninja blender to blend old fashioned oats into flour. You may need to shake the canister after processing for a few seconds to get all of the oats ground up. If there’s a few pieces that aren’t ground that’s okay.
Should I use cupcake liners?
I never use cupcake liners and my muffins always come out perfectly without sticking. I use cooking spray in the muffin pan. When they come out of the oven I run a butter knife around the rim of each tin and gently lift them out.
During the times I tried liners I found that they stuck to the muffin when you tried to peel them off. I just skip this step and use cooking spray.
Can I freeze muffins?
Muffins can definitely be made ahead and frozen for single servings. The best way is to allow the muffins to cool completely, then individually wrap in plastic wrap before placing in a large freezer bag. When you need a muffin just grab one from the freezer and microwave, after removing from plastic wrap, on defrost for 1-2 minutes depending on your microwave wattage.
How long do muffins stay fresh?
After the muffins have cooled completely store in an airtight container for a couple days. They are best reheated in microwave for 10 seconds with a little pat of butter. Unfortunately they never last more than 2 days in my house!
I hope that you and your family enjoy my Rum Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Muffin recipe! Give my other healthy muffin recipes a try! These are a great alternative to going through the drive thru. Your waist line will approve!
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe Here to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Rum Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Muffins
- 3.4 ounces dark rum
- ⅔ cup raisins
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon pure maple syrup
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a small sauce pan add rum and raisins and bring to a simmer. Allow the raisins to soak up the rum for about 5 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tin with spray.
- In a small bowl mix dry ingredients oat flour, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl add wet ingredients. Egg, maple syrup, Greek yogurt, apple sauce, avocado oil, cooled raisins with rum, and almond milk. Mix well.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients in with the wet being careful not to over mix.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar with remaining cinnamon. Set aside.
- Add small spoonful of muffin mixture to bottom of muffin tin. Put an ⅛ teaspoon of brown sugar mixture on top, then layer with another small spoonful of muffin batter on top. Swirl with knife. Repeat with all muffins.
- With fingers sprinkle any remaining brown sugar cinnamon mixture over the top of muffins.
- Place in oven and bake for 17-18 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.