How can you take a favorite childhood treat and make it better? Add peanut butter and chocolate! Gooey marshmallow with the crisp texture from the rice cereal that is flavored with peanut butter and topped with a layer of chocolate! Yes, these Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats with Chocolate are taking those marshmallow squares to the next level!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Classic Rice Krispies treats are one of those iconic desserts kids from my generation grew up on. This no bake treat is so easy and lets face it delicious! Even as an adult I love every bite of these gooey treats! I’m sure these peanut butter treats will quickly become a new family favorite. Plus kids love to help make this easy recipe!
Why these are the best rice krispie treats!
Okay, I have a weakness for chocolate and peanut butter. If my husband and I are going to order dessert he already knows what I’m ordering. Let’s just say chocolate and peanut butter is the best food pairing ever! I’ve shared these chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats with my family and coworkers and everyone raves about them (they do not need to know how easy they are!) They have the perfect amount of sweet gooeyness from the marshmallow with the flavoring of the peanut butter and a nice thick layer of rich chocolate. Every bite has that chewy, crisp texture from the crisp rice cereal. If you have a thing for peanut butter and chocolate, this is the perfect dessert for you!
Key ingredients for peanut butter Rice crispy treats
There are not many ingredients needed to make these delicious treats. However, the right ingredients are important!
Peanut Butter– Use regular creamy peanut butter not natural peanut butter for best results.
Chocolate Chips– You can use milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Marshmallow– Use a fresh bag of mini marshmallows for best results!
how do you make Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats?
This is very similar to the Rice Krispies treats we made as kids. Start with a large saucepan to melt butter. Make sure to add the peanut butter along with the butter to melt together before adding the marshmallows. Once that marshmallow mixture is melted add the rice cereal.
Make sure to stir well to coat the cereal completely. Pour mixture into a parchment lined pan and press mixture gently with a spatula.
Next melt chocolate chocolate chips using this easy tutorial on melting chocolate in the microwave. This is the quickest method and far easier than using a double boiler. Remember for best results heat the chocolate in 15 second intervals and use a small microwave-safe bowl.
I prefer a thick layer of chocolate over my peanut butter treats. One cup of chocolate chips is the perfect amount to cover the 8×8 square baking pan. If you want less chocolate you could melt half of the chips and drizzle over the top. Pour the melted chocolate onto the crispy rice cereal mixture and spread with a spatula.
- Keep heat at medium-low heat and watch the pan closely so that the marshmallows do not burn.
- Let the chocolate harden before cutting. The easiest way to cut the treats is to lift them out of the pan by lifting the edge of the parchment paper and placing it on a cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut into squares.
How do I store Rice krispie treats?
When we bite into one of these treats we want a soft and chewy texture not hard and cold, therefore do not store these in the refrigerator! Leave them on the counter at room temperature in an airtight container. They will stay fresh for up to 3 days, if they last that long!
Looking for other delicious dessert recipes? Try these!
If you try this recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies Treats, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
Pin For Later!
My Favorite Kitchen Tools!
Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Prepare 8 x8 inch dish by placing a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan. Make the parchment a little longer to help lift out of the pan.
- Spray parchment lightly with cooking spray.
- Measure all ingredients.
- In a large sauce pan melt butter. Add peanut butter and stir till smooth.
- Add marshmallows and continue to stir until melted. Once melted, add the vanilla and the salt.
- Once marshmallows are melted remove pan from heat. Add rice cereal and stir gently to coat with marshmallow mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish. Press gently with spatula.
- Set pan aside. Meanwhile, melt the remaining chocolate chips in the microwave.
- Pour melted chocolate over top. Use a spatula to smooth.
- Allow to cool on counter for two hours or until chocolate has hardened. Use a sharp knife to cut into 20 small bars.