When it comes to sweet treats these are The Best Lemon Cake Mix Cookies you will find. Sweet and tangy. Soft yet chewy. They are a delectable lemony treat that will be sure to wow the whole family.
(Blue's Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Programs. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going!)- Bobbie
Table of contents
Why You'll Love These Lemon Cake Mix Cookies!
I love a lemon cookie and experimented with these cute Lemon Curd Cookies for a fun spring recipe. There is something about the sweet and tangy flavor that really works well in a cookie recipe. The cake mix is a super easy hack to get the right balance of flavors and that crumbly texture we know and love from a cookie. These delicious lemon cookies are so easy to make and with just five simple ingredients you can have sweet treats baked in just 10 minutes. How great is that?
Bursting with lemon flavor, these cookies are delicious. The cake mix helps to make that cracked crinkle cookie appearance and they look so pretty. One cookie just won’t be enough. It doesn’t matter what time of the year it is, making a batch of these easy lemon cake mix cookies is guaranteed to please a crowd. You have to give them a try yourself. Eating is believing!
- Super easy to make - These are the easiest cookies you are ever going to make.
- Simple ingredients - You only need five ingredients to make this easy recipe. Some of the ingredients for these lemon cake cookies you probably already have in your pantry.
- Crowd-pleaser - Cookies are sweet and delicious and these lemon crinkle cookies are surprisingly irresistible!
Love Easy Cookies? Try These Recipes Next!
- Large bowl
- Baking tray
- Medium cookie scoop
Box of lemon cake mix - This is what will give that sweet and tangy lemon flavor and also that crinkle cookie effect.
Eggs - Eggs help to give structure to all cookie recipes.
Vegetable oil - This is what will help bind the cookie dough together.
Greek yogurt or sour cream - this is a secret ingredient that helps to make these cookies moist.
Powdered sugar - Adds an extra level of sweetness to the cookies.
Gather all of your ingredients together. In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil and Greek yogurt. Mix well until no dry streaks of cake mix remain. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Once the dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350° F degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Sprinkle the powdered sugar onto a plate. Using a cookie scoop portion out the dough. I used a #40 scoop which is about 1.6 tablespoons. You can use other sizes but will need to adjust the baking time accordingly.
Add the dough directly from the scoop to the powdered sugar. Do not try to roll in a ball first because the dough is far too sticky. Use just your fingers to roll a bit in the sugar and then roll into balls. Space the cookie dough balls about 2 inches apart on your lined baking sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes.
Cool cookies on a wire cooling rack before storing them.
Storing these easy lemon cookies is simple. Once they are cooled you can transfer them to an airtight container. They can stay on the counter at room temperature for up to five days at their best. After that, you may notice the texture change a little.
You can also freeze these cookies. Place them on a baking tray once cooled and freeze them. Once they are hard transfer them to a freezer container or a freezer-safe bag. Allow to thaw for a few hours before enjoying them.
- Always chill the cookie dough before carrying on with the recipe. It helps make the cookie dough easier to work with.
- Using a cookie scoop helps to get the right amount of dough so that your cookies are all the same size.
- Don’t be tempted to make a dough ball with your hands. It will still be too sticky to work with. Instead, sprinkle the sugar over it and then you can work with the dough and roll into balls.
- Use parchment paper on your baking tray so the cookies don't stick when baking.
Substitutions And Additions
Cream cheese frosting - One of the best things to add to these cookies is a little cream cheese frosting. So yummy and works perfectly with the lemon flavors.
Drizzle of icing - You could also add a drizzle of white icing in a pattern over the delicious cookies before serving.
Sprinkles - If you are using frosting or icing then you could add some extra sprinkles to give them extra little something.
White chocolate - Drizzle melted white chocolate over the top of the cookies or even add some white chocolate chips to the cookie dough. Yum!
Extra lemon flavor - If you want even more of that bright lemon flavor then add some lemon zest and fresh lemon juice to the cookie dough. Or why not make a lemon glaze?
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe Here to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
The Best Lemon Cake Mix Cookies (Easy Recipe)
- cookie sheet
- cookie scoop
- 1 lemon cake mix
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- In a Large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil and Greek yogurt. Mix well until no dry streaks of cake mix remain. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once the dough has chilled preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the powdered sugar onto a plate. Using a cookie scoop portion out the dough. I used a #40 scoop which is about 1.6 tablespoons. You can use other sizes but will need to adjust the baking time.
- Add the dough directly from the scoop to the powdered sugar. Do not try to roll in a ball first because the dough is far too sticky. Use just your fingers to roll a bit in the sugar and then roll into balls. Space about 2 inches apart on your parchment lined tray and bake for 9-11 minutes.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack before storing.