Turkey isn’t just for Thanksgiving dinner! This quick and easy Instant Pot Turkey Tenderloin recipe can be for any week night dinner. Cooking a turkey tenderloin breast in an Instant Pot keeps the meat tender and juicy.
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
I love Thanksgiving turkey but sometimes cooking the whole turkey can be too time consuming! It isn’t difficult to prepare however, I rarely have time for several hours of cooking in the oven. Neither my husband or I are fans of dark meat so by cooking just the boneless turkey breast we can eat the juicy white meat we prefer with nothing wasted. That’s why a turkey tenderloin in an Instant Pot is a perfect recipe for us. We can enjoy a delicious turkey dinner any time of year!
What is turkey tenderloin?
The tenderloin is a part of the turkey breast. It’s a tender lean white meat cut of turkey that can be cooked in many different methods. Turkey is a great source of protein and low in fat making it a very healthy meal. However, because turkey is low in fat it can be dry if overcooked so follow the steps for cooking in an Instant Pot for the juiciest turkey breast!
Ingredients for turkey tenderloin in an instant pot
- turkey tenderloin
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- cup of chicken broth
You can experiment with different herbs and spices. I really love using fresh herbs for my turkey but you can also use dry spices if that is what you have on hand. You can use water in place of the chicken broth. As long as you have a cup of liquid in the the Instant Pot when you set to high pressure it will work perfectly.
Equipment needed to cook turkey tenderloin
For this tenderloin recipe I am using the Instant Pot. It will cook the turkey quickly while keeping it moist. If you are new to using an Instant Pot there are a few accessories that came along with it. One that you will need is the stainless steel roasting rack. This will elevate the tenderloin off the bottom of the pot so that it isn’t sitting in the chicken broth.
How to cook turkey tenderloin in instant pot
The beauty of an Instant Pot is how you can make a delicious and healthy dinner in the fraction of the time it takes to cook using other methods. In less than 40 minutes you can cook flavorful turkey breast that your entire family will love!
One step that I add to cooking the turkey tenderloin is to use the sauté feature to sear each side. This gives your turkey a more pleasant browned color than just a white drab piece of poultry. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT SEAR WITH THE LID ON!
Press the saute button on the Instant Pot and allow it to heat for a minute. Then add olive oil to the bottom of the Instant Pot before placing the turkey inside the pot. After searing I remove the tenderloin so I can add the chicken broth or a cup of water to the bottom of the pot. It is important to remember that you always have liquid in the Instant Pot before pressure cooking.
Add the roasting rack to the bottom of the pot. Transfer turkey back inside the pot on top of roasting rack and place the lid on top and turn to the on position. Set the instant pot for 7 minutes. It will take a few minutes for the pressure to build in your pot. You should hear some hissing noises as it’s coming to pressure. This is completely normal. Once it has pressurized the screen will change from On to counting down from 7 minutes.
Once the actual cook time is up you will need to do a natural pressure release NOT a quick release. The screen will show an L and begin a count down. I let my turkey tenderloin depressurize with the natural release method for 10 minutes before removing it from the Instant Pot. If you have never used an Instant Pot or need a refresher for some of the features check out this Instant Pot Guide!
What temperature should turkey tenderloin be cooked to?
I know it’s hard to believe this tenderloin can cook fully in 7 minutes! Remember that the turkey is actually cooking during the time that it takes for the electric pressure cooker to come to pressure and while it naturally releases pressure. You should always double check by using a meat thermometer. The safe internal temperature for poultry according to the FDA is 165 degrees.
How can I serve Instant Pot Turkey Tenderloins?
This is an easy meal that you can put together with a few quick side dishes. Green beans, cranberry relish and mashed potatoes are great sides that you can pair to make a good turkey dinner. And do not forget the pumpkin pie! If you have leftover turkey, you can make soup like my Chicken Quinoa Kale Soup or slice turkey for sandwiches.
If you try this recipe for Instant Pot Turkey Tenderloin, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
Looking For Other Instant Pot Recipes? Try These!
Pin For Later!
My Favorite Kitchen Tools!
Instant Pot Turkey Tenderloin
- Instant Pot and stainless steel roasting rack (comes with Instant Pot)
- 1 package of 2 turkey tenderloins (1.5 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Set up Instant Pot, turn to sauté feature and allow to heat for a couple minutes.
- Remove tenderloins from package and pat dry with paper towel. Rub with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Add other 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to bottom of pot inside Instant Pot. Add tenderloins to bottom and sear each side for 2 minutes to brown slightly. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT SEAR WITH THE LID ON!
- When finished searing, remove from Instant Pot and set aside. Turkey is not fully cooked at this point. Turn the sear feature off. Add chicken broth and stainless steel roasting rack into bottom of Instant Pot. Place tenderloins back in pot on top of rack.
- Place lid on Instant Pot locking in place. Make sure value is in seal position. Turn Instant Pot to pressure cook.
- Time for 7 minutes. It will take a few minutes to come to pressure before it starts the count down.
- When the 7 minutes is up the screen will show an L as it is depressurizing naturally. I depressurized for 10 minutes before releasing the last amount of steam and removing the lid.
- Place tenderloins on a cutting board. Allow to rest for a few minutes before slicing.