If your morning toast seems kinda drab try mixing up this quick chocolate baked oats recipe. It tastes like a rich chocolate cake that you get to eat for breakfast! Made with healthy ingredients chocolate baked oatmeal is a wholesome breakfast.
Why this chocolate baked oatmeal is the best!
One bite of this rich chocolaty warm oatmeal and you’ll be craving this delicious breakfast every morning. These chocolate oats are a great way to get your kids to eat a healthy breakfast! The best part is how quickly you can mix up this baked oatmeal. 10 minutes and one bowl is all you need for this easy breakfast recipe.
old fashion oats- or rolled oats are the best for baked oats. Quick oats or instant oats would give a mushy texture. Steel cut oats would require more liquid and a longer cook time.
ripe banana- overly ripe bananas are the best for baking. They are easier to mash with a fork.
coconut oil- is solid at room temperature. Just a few seconds in the microwave will melt it so that is easier to mix. Feel free to substitute avocado oil or even a light flavored olive oil.
unsweetened almond milk- is a great plant based choice but you can use oat milk or dairy milk with very little difference except the calorie count.
honey- or pure maple syrup is a great way to sweeten baked oats without refined added sugars.
unsweetened cocoa powder- will give this a rich chocolate flavor.
chocolate chips- use milk, semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips in this recipe.
Mash the bananas in a large bowl. Add the rest of the wet ingredients milk, egg, vanilla extract, honey and melted coconut oil.
Once everything is thourghly mixed add the oats, coca powder, salt and chocolate chips.
Pour the oat mixture into a lightly greased 8x8 baking dish.
how to serve
Chocolate oatmeal is best served warm. Serve the pieces of baked oatmeal with a drizzle of extra milk and a few extra choclate chips. Here's a few other topping ideas.
- drizzle of peanut butter or almond butter
- fresh berries or fresh fruit
- honey, maple syrup of agave nectar
- Use overly ripe bananas to give this oatmeal its sweet flavor.
- If you prefer a more cake-like texture use a food processor to make oat flour.
Storing and reheating
Before storing your baked oats let them cool down completely. I use a glass 8x8 Pyrex dish for my baked oats recipes because they have a lid that keeps it airtight. You can use any airtight container to store leftovers or even cover with plastic wrap. Keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To warm an individual piece, microwave on high for 45-60 seconds.
are chocolate baked oats healthy?
Yes! I used all wholesome and simple ingredients to make chocolate baked oats healthy. Also it is made without refined sugars and gets most of it's sweetness from the ripe bananas. Oats are a whole-grain that is a great source of fiber and also have many vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
do you cook oats before baking?
No! That's what makes this recipe so easy! Just mix everything together and pop in the oven and the oats will soften while they bake.
Are baked oats good reheated?
Yes! One reason why I love baked oats is because they are perfect breakfast meal prep recipe! You can make a double batch and have breakfast for the family for several days!
Does baked oatmeal have to be refrigerated?
Because this recipe contains eggs it is best to refrigerate. Let the oatmeal cool and then store for 3-4 days.
Looking for other baked oatmeal recipes? Try these!
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Healthy Chocolate Baked Oats
- 2 overly ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups old fashion oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork.
- Add the egg, milk, coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract. Stir well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Add the oats, cocoa powder, salt and chocolate chips.
- Stir well and use a spatula to scrape oat mixture into an 8x8 baking dish.
- Spread evenly into dish and place in preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until oatmeal is set and no longer runny.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with additional chocolate chips, fresh fruit or milk.