Get your cup of coffee ready for this delicious coffee cake! It's an easy recipe that you can prep in 15 minutes and bake in the oven for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast or brunch. Can't you smell that delicious fragrance of cinnamon sugar baking in the oven now! This delicious recipe will be a family favorite!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Why this coffee cake is the best
There's something about the aroma of coffee cake baking in the oven. It fills the entire house with a wonderful smell that is warm and cozy. This simple cake is perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea. An egg-free coffee cake is the perfect solution if you are baking for someone who is allergic to eggs or if you woke up and realized you are out of eggs! One bite of this tender cake and you will never know what's missing!
- Perfect solution for anyone with egg allergies or if you are out of eggs.
- Easy recipe that can be prepped in 15 minutes.
- Same basic ingredients in a regular coffee cake.
- The cake rises and has a tender and delicious crumb from the substitution of Greek yogurt.
This recipe uses simple ingredients that you find in most coffee cake recipes. The key is finding a substitute to the egg that will still produce a tender cake that rises.
Greek yogurt- most cake recipes require eggs to make the cake tender and to help activate the leavening agents like baking powder and baking soda. Greek yogurt is the perfect replacement for this coffee cake recipe because it helps produce a tender cake.
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large mixing bowl stir together the dry ingredients; all purpose flour, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt making sure to keep the extra cup separate for the filling/topping. Next cut the unsalted butter into cubes and add to the flour mixture. Use a pastry blender to cut the cold butter into the flour. It will be lumpy and grainy with the little clumps of butter.
In a large bowl, stir together the wet ingredients; milk, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract until it is smooth.
Then using a rubber spatula stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture. It will be lumpy from the butter.
Grease a 8x8 baking dish or cake tin. Spread ½ of the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan. Next sprinkle half of the filling/topping onto the cake batter. Add the other half of the batter on top of the streusel layer and gently smooth batter over the filling. Sprinkle the remaining brown sugar streusel topping all over the top of the cake.
Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. The top of the cake will be a beautiful golden brown color.
Nuts are always a great addition to coffee cake. You can add either chopped walnuts or pecans to the filling and topping.
Another idea is making a very simple glaze with a ½ cup of powdered sugar and a tablespoon of milk to drizzle over the top.
How to store
Coffee cake will keep for 2-3 days at room temperature. The best way to keep fresh is in an airtight container.
looking for other delicious breakfast recipes? Try these!
Will a cake rise without eggs?
Yes! While traditionally eggs are used to help bind the ingredients together and react with the leavening agents to help the cake rise it is still possible to make a tender cake that does rise without eggs! It is important to use Greek yogurt in this recipe because this is the key ingredient that replaces the egg and gives the cake its light and airy texture.
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Eggless Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix together the milk, yogurt and vanilla. Use a whisk to get the lumps of yogurt blended smooth.
- Use a butter knife to cut the cold butter into cubes. Add to the flour mixture. Use a pastry blender to work the butter into the flour. The flour will look sandy with little pea size pieces of butter.
- Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture and use a spatula to mix together. Do not over mix batter. Just mix until no streaks of flour remain. You will still see the pieces of butter.
- Grease a square baking pan. Pour ½ of batter into prepared pan and set aside while mixing the filling and topping.
For the Filling/Topping
- In a small bowl add all of the ingredients together. Use the pastry blender again to cut the butter into the flour. Again it will look a little clumpy with little pieces of butter.
- Sprinkle half of the filling over the batter. Top the remaining batter over top of the filling. Then sprinkle the remaining topping over the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle come out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.