Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt is a quick recipe that you can make for meal prep for school or work lunch. Serve this healthy chicken salad recipe on a bed of greens or as a sandwich.
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
How do you make chicken salad from scratch?
To make chicken salad you need to start with cooked chicken. You could use leftover rotisserie chicken or poach a chicken breast. Usually I poach chicken in water with celery and black peppercorns to make this recipe. It only takes the chicken 10 -12 minutes to cook and I can prep the other ingredients while that is on the stove.
While the chicken is cooking wash and chop celery, grapes and pecans. Add to a large bowl with dried cranberries. Set this aside while mixing the ingredients for the Greek yogurt dressing.
At this point chicken should be cooked (meat thermometer will read 165 degrees) and ready to chop. With a sharp knife chop chicken into very small pieces. When cooled add to bowl and pour dressing over top. Use a spoon to mix well coating everything with dressing.
INGREDIENTS in healthy chicken salad recipe
- chicken -rotisserie or poached chicken
- pecans- walnuts or slivered almonds
- dried cranberries - or dried cherries
- Greek yogurt- I use whole milk
- Dijon mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
I really love adding the crunchy celery and nuts but you can always adjust this to your preferences!
Is Chicken Salad with greek yogurt healthy?
This answer of course depends on how exactly the recipe is made and what ingredients are used. Chicken salad can be a healthy option, however traditional chicken salad is made with mayonnaise that can be very high in calories. That is why I substituted the mayo for Greek yogurt. I opted for the whole fat variety which still has remarkably less calories and fat when compared to mayo!
How long does chicken salad last in the fridge?
Chicken salad is perfect to make and prep for your lunch for the week. I usually make enough to last 3 days but it is safe for 3-4 as long as it is stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How to serve chicken salad
Chicken salad is a recipe that is traditionally served cold. I like to mix it up and eat it different ways. Sometimes I'll eat it on a bed of salad greens with baby carrots, as a sandwich or with crunchy multi grain cracker.
If you try this recipe for Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
Pin For Later!
My Favorite Kitchen Tools!
Chicken Salad with Greek Yogurt
- 1 cooked chicken breast (2 cups chopped)
- ½ cup grapes, halved
- ⅓ cup celery
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup Greek yougurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- To poach the chicken add a raw chicken breast to a small pot. Cover with water and add a celery stalk, salt and black peppercorns. Bring to boil and cook until no longer pink (165 degrees with meat thermometer) in the center about 12 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking chop grapes, celery and pecans. Add to a large bowl with dried cranberries. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl mix together ingredients for the Greek yogurt dressing.
- When chicken is finished cooking chop in very small pieces. Allow to cool for a few minutes and add to chopped ingredients. Pour dressing over the top. Stir all ingredients together. Chill before serving.