Arugula apple salad is loaded with crunchy walnuts, creamy goat cheese and crisp apples and then drizzled with a bright lemony vinaigrette. Add this quick and easy salad to your weeknight dinner menu. This beautiful salad is the perfect side dish to accompany your main course!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Why This Arugula Salad is the Best!
Quick, easy and versatile is why I love salad recipes. Make this salad as a main dish with the addition of grilled chicken breast or serve as a side salad for the perfect accompaniment for your holiday dinner.
The spicy arugula pairs perfectly with the sweet apples and crunchy salad ingredients. The lemon vinaigrette adds a wonderful bright, zingy flavor to the salad. This really is the perfect salad for any occasion!
arugula-is a leafy green that is grown all over the world. Arugula has a spicy flavor that can be eaten raw as salad greens or cooked. Arugula is also known as rocket in England.
apples- use your favorite apple for this salad recipe. I used Honeycrisp but granny smith or another tart apple will work well.
olive oil- select a good quality extra-virgin olive oil for the dressing.
Start by making your salad dressing. The easiest way is to add all of the ingredients to a mason jar, secure the lid and shake well. Sit the lemon vinaigrette aside until ready to serve the salad.
The lemon juice and apple cider vinegar add a little sweet and acidic flavor that compliments the peppery arugula perfectly.
To assemble the salad add the arugula to a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with dried cherries, walnuts and goat cheese.
When ready to serve, slice the apple into thin slices and drizzle with dressing. This will keep your apple slices from browning and the salad from getting soggy.
- Use baby arugula for a smaller and more tender leaf and milder flavor.
- Add half of the dressing and serve the remaining amount with the salad.
I love this salad as a side dish but you can easily grill some chicken to place on top and make it an entrée salad. If you are planning this salad as a side dish here are a few ideas to round out the meal.
For the main course make this easy Instant Pot Turkey Tenderloin Recipe. The turkey is so tender, it's the perfect dish to serve with a salad. Even though this salad has more fall flavors I think it still pairs well with a light minty Peach Moscato Mojito.
Substitutions and Additions
The beauty of salads is that you can change them according to your likes and dislikes or just use what you have on hand! Here are a few ideas!
- Use your favorite cheese! I love creamy goat cheese but feta cheese, Parmesan or blue cheese would also be tasty in this salad.
- Pecans, almonds or pistachios are some of my favorite nuts. Add a variety if you’d like.
- Seeds are also a fun addition to this fall salad. Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are my favorite.
- Dried fruit is something I always have in my pantry. Substitute dried cranberries or apricots for a twist.
- Thinly sliced red onion or shallots are also great addition to this delicious salad.
- You can substitute maple syrup for the honey in the vinaigrette.
Make Ahead Tips
This apple arugula salad is best eaten right away. If you want to make the salad ahead of time it is best to keep the salad dressing separate and add it when ready to serve. Store the salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to one day.
Looking For Other Side Dish Recipes? Try These!
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Arugula Apple and Walnut Salad
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- 1 medium apple, cored and sliced thin
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 4 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Add the ingredients for the lemon vinaigrette in a mason jar or other jar with a tight fitting lid. With the lid on, shake well.
- Add the arugula to a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with dried cherries, walnuts and crumbled goat cheese.
- When ready to serve slice the apples and add to the bowl . Drizzle with half of the dressing and serve the remaining dressing with the salad.