These Easy Homemade Garlic Croutons will elevate any simple soup or salad. This is the perfect way to use up stale bread to make delicious crunchy croutons that are so much better than store bought. Sprinkle these over a Caesar salad or in a creamy tomato soup for an amazing addition.
Why You'll Love These Easy Homemade Garlic Croutons!
(Blue's Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Programs. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going!)- Bobbie
Table of contents
Crunchy, garlicy and buttery are the best way to describe these toasted homemade croutons! Not only are these easy to make, but it can really dress up a simple meal.
Make these ahead for a holiday dinner or to have for your dinners for the week. Because these garlic croutons are great in any salad, you can pair this with anything from steak, seafood, chicken or your favorite Italian dinner.
- Easy To Make- this recipe requires about 5 minutes of prep time making it a quick and virtually hands off recipe.
- Simple Ingredients- Not only is this made with simple ingredients, it is a great way to use stale bread that may be wasted other wise.
- Better Than Store Bought- these homemade croutons taste much better than anything in the store. Elevate a salad or soup by adding these delicious crunchy croutons!
- Make-Ahead- these croutons will keep for up to 2 weeks so you can make these ahead for meals throughout the week.
rimmed baking tray- a large tray is best so you can spread the croutons out in a single layer.
knife- a serrated knife works best to cut bread.
bread- a good loaf of sourdough bread or French bread will work well. Really you can make croutons out of any stale bread.
butter-gives a rich flavor to the croutons.
olive oil- balances the richness of the butter.
garlic powder- adds a great garlic flavor to the croutons. You can chop fresh garlic too but because garlic can burn easily I prefer to use garlic powder.
onion powder-adds additional flavor.
Italian seasoning- is a blend of seasoning that gives a great herbaceous flavor to the croutons.
salt and pepper- I prefer freshly cracked black pepper and sea salt for the best flavor additions.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut the bread into small bite- sized cubes and place in a large mixing bowl.
Drizzle the bread with melted butter and half of the olive oil while stirring to get an even coat on all of the bread. Sprinkle with the seasonings.
Spread the bread cubes in a single layer over a rimmed baking tray. You can use parchment paper for easier clean up if you prefer.
Place the baking tray in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes stirring at the halfway point. The croutons will be golden brown and toasted when they are finished.
Homemade croutons will keep for up to 2 weeks stored in an airtight container. Make sure that they are completely cooled before storing.
Serve these homemade croutons on your favorite salad. Of course they are the perfect addition to a homemade Caesar salad. These are also great in tomato soup or Roasted Red Pepper Gouda Soup.
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe Here to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Easy Homemade Garlic Croutons
- 1 16 ounce loaf bakery style bread, sourdough, French or Italian
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cut loaf of bread into bite-sized cubes. Add the bread to a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter and drizzle over the bread cubes while stirring. Drizzle half of the olive oil over the bread. Sprinkle with the seasonings and toss well to coat the bread cubes.
- Spread the bread cubes over a rimmed baking tray and drizzle the cubes with remaining olive oil to make sure all bread is well coated.
- Place the bread cubes in oven for 15-20 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and toasted, stirring halfway through.
- Cool completely before storing.