If you are looking for a healthy breakfast option that the whole family will love, try these healthy banana carrot muffins. This easy recipe is packed full of shredded carrots and wholesome ingredients you will feel good feeding your family. And for all of you mom’s that are trying to sneak more veggies in your kids diet, they will gobble these up!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
I love baking healthy muffins and discovering a new recipe that my family enjoys. Making a batch of muffins is such an easy breakfast that you can enjoy for a few days. They even make a great addition to the kids’ lunch box or afternoon snack. You will love the flavor of these carrot banana muffins because they are not overly banana flavored but taste like carrot cake!
why these banana carRot muffins are so good
- These muffins are naturally sweetened from the banana and honey and have no added sugar.
- They are perfectly moist from the combination of Greek yogurt and avocado oil.
- The warm spices give these sweet muffins the flavor of carrot cake.
- Great breakfast to make ahead for a busy week, they stay fresh for a few days or can be frozen.
Key Ingredients in Healthy Banana Carrot Muffins
The combination of these ingredients give the muffins great texture while still being moist.
If you do not have avocado oil you can sub for extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil or canola oil.
If you do not have all of the spices on hand you could use only cinnamon although they won’t have quite the same flavor.
Pure maple syrup or agave syrup is a great substitute for honey.
If you are new to baking follow these tips on how to make banana carrot muffins.
- Use overly ripe bananas. They are sweeter and easier to mash.
- Always mix the wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately in large mixing bowls before mixing together.
- Measure flour by spooning it into measuring cup and leveling with a knife. Never pack down the flour.
- The best way to shred fresh carrots is to use a food processor.
- Allow eggs and yogurt to come to room temperature.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper liners for easy clean up.
add ins and Variations
I absolutely love these muffins as is, but next time I bake these muffins I will definitely try adding either walnuts or pecans to the muffin batter. If you are craving something a little sweeter you could even add chocolate chips.
Another idea would be a cream cheese frosting to the tops of the muffins. Of course this would make them more like a cup cake than regular muffins.
If you need to make this muffin gluten-free, try substituting with an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend.
How to store muffins
Allow muffins to cool completely on a wire rack before storing. Muffins are best kept in an airtight container for 2-3 days. You can always warm them in the microwave for 15 seconds and spread them with a little butter.
Can I freeze muffins
These healthy banana carrot muffins are great for a breakfast freezer meal. Make a batch and allow them to cook completely before individually wrapping in plastic wrap. Place each muffin in a freezer bag.
To thaw remove from freezer and unwrap. Microwave for 1-2 minutes on defrost.
Looking for other delicious muffin recipes? Try these!
If you try this recipe for Healthy Banana Carrot Muffins, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
Pin For Later!
My Favorite Kitchen Tools!
Healthy Banana Carrot Muffins
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or use muffin liners.
- Measure all ingredients. And allow eggs and yogurt to come to room temperature.
- Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls and then combine together.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake at 350 oven for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow muffins to cool completely before storing or freezing.