A moist and tender gluten free banana cake is made with almond flour and topped with a delicious peanut butter cream cheese frosting. Mix the cake together in just 15 minutes and pop in the oven for a delicious and light gluten free banana dessert!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
What makes this almond flour banana cake the beSt?
If you love banana bread you will love this delicious banana cake! It has a light banana flavor that is perfect with the peanut butter cream cheese. If you are skeptical of baking with almond flour I assure you this cake has a tender crumb and a nice fluffy texture. I love this moist cake because it can be eaten for breakfast, brunch or dessert for a special occasion!
Key Ingredients & substitutions
almond flour- is a gluten-free flour alternative that is made from ground almonds. It is a lighter texture than almond meal that is ground with the peel on. To make a tender cake, almond flour is preferred although you can use either in this recipe. Almond flour can be found at most grocery stores in the baking section.
bananas- overripe bananas that are speckled are the best for banana cake. The riper the banana the sweeter the flavor. This means that you will not to add as much sugar to the recipe. This is also a great way to use bananas that are too ripe to eat. If you are looking for other banana recipes try my Almond Flour Banana Muffins.
honey- honey adds a little sweetness to the cake. You could substitute pure maple syrup.
cornstarch- is naturally gluten-free. It is added to many different baked goods to help bind and make a tender crumb.
unsalted butter- almond flour has a good amount of fat so this recipe does not need much butter to make this moist banana cake.
natural peanut butter- this is delicious when added to the cream cheese frosting. If you prefer you can add an extra couple of tablespoons of cream cheese and omit the peanut butter.
In a large mixing bowl mash the bananas well. You can use a fork or mix with a hand mixer.
Add the remaining wet ingredients to the mashed bananas and mix well using a mixer at medium speed.
In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together and add to the wet ingredients.
Pour the batter into a prepared pan that has been lightly greased with butter. You can also line the bottom of the pan with a cut out piece of parchment paper to make it easier to remove the cake from the pan.
Bake the banana cake for 30-35 minutes and test with a tooth pick for doneness. The cake will be golden brown in color.
Allow to cool for an hour and then invert cake onto a wire cooling rack.
Cool completely before adding the frosting.
To make the frosting beat softened cream cheese, honey, vanilla extract and peanut butter, using a small bowl. Spread in a even layer over the top of the cake. Decorate with slices of bananas and chopped peanuts if desired.
How To Store
Any baked item with a cream cheese frosting must be stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
If the cake has been refrigerated before serving, allow the cake to come to room temperature. Decorate the cake before serving so the bananas do not brown.
- Mash the banana well to make the cake batter very smooth.
- Grease the pan well on the bottom and sides of the pan.
- For best results allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack before removing it from the cake pan.
If you are not a fan of peanut butter make the cream cheese frosting with just honey and vanilla extract. Either way this is a delicious cake!
If you want a sweeter frosting you will need to add powdered sugar. Too much honey will make the frosting runny.
Need something a little sweeter? Add chocolate chips to the cake batter.
Forget the frosting all together and use this recipe as a gluten-free banana bread!
Looking for other gluten-free recipes? Try these!
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe Here to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Almond Flour Banana Cake
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 banana
- ¼ cup peanuts, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cake pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together almond flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl mash the bananas with a handheld mixer. Add the remaining ingredients eggs, butter, vanilla extract and honey.
- Beat mixture until very smooth then add almond flour mixture and mix together with a spatula.
- Be careful to not over mix. Scrap sides and bottom of the bowl until no dry streaks of flour remain.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- In a small bowl use a hand mixer to whip cream cheese, honey and peanut butter.
- Spread in a light layer over the top of the cake.