These Easy Christmas Rice Krispie Treats are delicious, easy to make, and a family favorite. The classic sweet snack has had a festive makeover! Perfect for the holiday season.
(Blue's Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Affiliate Programs. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going!)- Bobbie
Table of contents
Why You’ll Love These Christmas Rice Krispie Treats
There is something nostalgic about classic Rice Krispie treats. One of the sweet snacks that we all might have made or at the very least enjoyed during our childhood, and today they are still loved. Super easy to make, with just a handful of simple ingredients you might already have, you can make a festive snack that everyone is going to love. Big, thick, and soft, with crunchy holiday M&Ms and sticky marshmallows within every slice, I challenge you to find something you won’t like about these sweet snacks.
Perfect to make with the kids during the holidays or even to whip up a batch when you have company, they are super easy to make and are ready in no time at all. Chewy and tasty they are my “go-to” treat when I want to satisfy my sweet tooth. You have to give the Christmas Rice Krispie treats recipe a try!
- Super quick and easy to make - You can make a batch of these rice krispie treats in record time with just a handful of ingredients you probably have in the pantry.
- Family-friendly - Kids of all ages and grown-ups love these sweet snacks and they are an easy holiday treat.
- Perfect for the festive season - These rice krispie treats have had a Christmas makeover and are ideal to serve to guests and families during the Christmas holiday.
- They look fun and festive - This easy recipe makes delicious treats that not only look festive but visually appealing as well. Perfect for your Christmas tables as they make a cute Christmas dessert.
Love Holiday Treats? Try These Next!
- Non-stick pot
- Baking dish
Butter - I use unsalted butter in my recipe but you could use salted butter if you wish.
Mini marshmallows - You will melt some of these as well as keep some whole to add to the cereal mixture.
Vanilla extract - A great way to add some extra flavor.
Salt - This helps to balance the sweet flavors. If using salted butter you can omit the salt.
Rice Krispie cereal - Is the star of the show so it is best to use the name brand and a fresh box for the best results.
Holiday M&M's - This is what gives the sweet snacks their festive look. You can use any red or green candies if you prefer, or change things up for different occasions.
Holiday sprinkles - Another way to add a bit of color.
Line an 8x8 or 13x9 dish with parchment paper so that it is overhanging and can be used as handles to lift the Rice Krispie treats from the pan to cut. See more detailed notes later in this post.
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the butter to melt. Add all of the marshmallows, reserving 1 cup. Stir to melt the marshmallows.
Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and salt into the melted marshmallow mixture. Add the rice cereal and the reserved cup of remaining marshmallows. Stir to coat the cereal in the marshmallow mixture. Stir in the candy, reserving a little for the top.
Press the cereal mixture into a parchment-lined prepared baking dish. Press the mixture into the dish lightly to get an even layer. Do not pack too tightly because that will result in a hard cereal treat. Sprinkle with a few more M&M's and sprinkles.
Allow the treats to set at room temperature for at least 1 hour before cutting.
Once the Rice Krispies treats have set you can then store them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Make sure you overhang the parchment paper a little so that you can easily remove the mixture from the pan once it has set.
- Always use fresh and soft marshmallows for the Christmas Rice Krispies treats. It means they will melt better and also create a nice consistency for the Rice Krispie mixture.
- Don’t over-stir the mixture as this overworks it and will mean the rice krispie bars won’t be as soft once set.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the Rice Krispie treats into portions.
Do You Refrigerate Rice Krispie Treats After You Make Them?
You don’t need to refrigerate the rice Krispie treats after you have made them. The treats contain a fair amount of sugar which acts as a preservative. Meaning they are perfectly fine to be stored at room temperature.
Can I Freeze Rice Krispie Treats?
Yes, you can freeze this fun treat! Just wrap each Rice Krispie bar with parchment paper or wax paper and freeze them individually. Place them in an airtight container and then freeze. They will last for up to three months. If you don’t plan on taking them out individually then you don’t need to wrap them in parchment paper. This just stops them from freezing together and enables you to pull out one easy treat when you need a sweet treat!
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe Here to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Christmas Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x9 or 13x9 baking pan
- parchment paper
- large pot
- ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 and ½ bags mini marshmallows divided (15 ounces total)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 7 cups rice Krispie cereal
- ½ cup Holiday M&M's
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles
- Line a 9x9 or 13x9 dish with parchment paper so that it is overhanging and can be used as handles to lift the rice Krispie treats from the pan to cut. See notes.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the butter to melt. Add all of the marshmallows reserving 1 cup. Stir to melt the marshmallows.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the vanilla extract and salt. Add the rice cereal and the reserved cup of marshmallows. Stir to coat the cereal in the marshmallow mixture. Stir in the candy, reserving a little for the top.
- Press the cereal mixture into a parchment lined dish. Press the mixture into the dish lightly. Sprinkle with a few more M&M's and sprinkles.
- Allow the treats to set at room temperature for at least 1 hour before cutting.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.