Skip the traditional deli style Reuben and try a Turkey Reuben with Homemade Thousand Island. This sandwich is full of flavor while being a healthier option you can make at home.
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Years ago I made a decision to eliminate beef and pork from my diet. Over the years I’ve learned to enjoy many of my favorite meals by modifying them with turkey or chicken. My Turkey Reuben with Homemade Thousand Island is a great example of how a little creativeness can help you make a healthier decision!
What’s on a turkey reuben?
- rye bread- I use seeded rye, but you can use an unseeded or a marble rye
- Swiss cheese
- turkey- thinly sliced from your local deli
- thousand island- my homemade dressing is made with Greek yogurt!
This recipe is easy to make and only requires these 6 ingredients. Of course you can buy a store bought dressing but I love making my own healthier version!
are Reuben sandwiches healthy?
A traditional Reuben is made with corned beef which is a cut of meat that is very high in fat. Add the cheese and a high calorie thousand island made with Mayo and you have a sandwich that will weigh you down. If you take a look at the nutritional information on my turkey Reuben you’ll see it’s a much healthier option coming in at under 400 calories! You will be amazed at this tasty sandwich.
How to assemble a turkey Reuben with homemade thousand island
Even though this is a very easy sandwich to make I do have a few tips for assembling your Reuben. Make your thousand island dressing first in a small bowl and make sure to chop your onions very fine. I like to use a griddle when I make my Reuben because I'm usually making several at a time but you can use a skillet. Add your sauerkraut to a small microwaveable bowl and warm it for 30 seconds. Then make sure you drain any extra liquid off so that you do not have a soggy sandwich.
Butter one side of each piece of bread and lay two pieces down on your skillet or griddle. Add cheese, turkey, sauerkraut and a tablespoon of thousand island to each sandwich. Top with remaining piece of bread buttered side up. Take a spatula to gently press the Reuben and then flip the sandwich when it is golden brown. Once sandwich is browned on both sides it is ready to serve. I like to serve with pickles and a little extra dressing to dip the sandwich in.
If you try this recipe for Turkey Reuben with Homemade Thousand Island, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
Pin For Later!
My Favorite Kitchen Tools!
Turkey Reuben with Homemade Thousand Island
Homemade Thousand Island
- ½ cup Greek yogurt whole milk
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons onion, finely chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 pieces rye bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey
- ½ cup sauerkraut, drained
Homemade Thousand Island
- In a small bowl mix together all ingredients for thousand island dressing. This will make more than needed for two sandwiches so reserve the remaining amount for another sandwich or salad.
- After dressing is mixed prepare sandwiches in either a large skillet or a griddle. Heat griddle to 300 degrees or skillet to med high heat. Butter one side of each piece of rye bread. Lay two pieces buttered side on griddle.
- Next layer Swiss cheese, turkey, sauerkraut and drizzle with a tablespoon of thousand island on top of bread slices.
- Top with remaining pieces of bread, buttered side up. Use a spatula to gently press and flip sandwiches. You want the bread to be slightly golden brown.
- Cook other side for 2-3 minutes until it is golden brown too. Cut in half and serve with pickles.