This is by far the easiest homemade tomato soup recipe you will ever make all thanks to your high powered blender! This creamy tomato soup is made with fresh ingredients and takes only 10 minutes to make!
Why this vitamix tomato soup is the best
canned tomatoes- I recommend using canned tomatoes over fresh for this recipe because it greatly reduces your prep time. Look for whole tomatoes that are already peeled. Preferably plum tomatoes or roma tomatoes.
broth- chicken broth or vegetable broth are both good choices. You can even use your own homemade vegetable stock if you cooked veggies earlier in the week.
fresh basil - fresh herbs are a must in this soup. If you have fresh thyme growing you can also add that to the soup.
heavy cream-this will make your soup creamy! Use whole milk if you prefer.
I recommend using a Vitamix for this recipe, however you can use a regular blender or immersion blender.
Add all of the ingredients to the base of the Vitamix container. Secure the lid and begin blending on a low speed. Slowly increase speed and blend for 6 minutes or until you see steam coming from the top of the vented lid. The friction of the blades will heat the soup
- Do not drain the tomatoes! Add all of the tomato juice from the can.
- Add the heavy cream at the end when the soup is heated.
The beauty of this soup recipe is that it can be made in 10 minutes with just the use of your blender, however if you have the time you can definitely jazz this soup up a little. Here's a few ideas to try.
- roasted onions/ sauteed onions
- roasted garlic
- roasted red peppers
- red chili flakes
How to serve tomato soup
Pour the tomato soup directly into bowls from the Vitamix blender. Garnish with more fresh basil leaves, heavy cream and cracked black pepper.
Serve with saltines, croutons, or a grilled cheese sandwich.
Can you cook soup in a Vitamix?
Yes! The blades will create enough heat to actually heat and cook the soup. It takes about 6 minutes for this process to happen.
What's the difference between tomato soup and tomato bisque?
Tomato soup is made with just tomatoes and broth making a thinner soup, while tomato bisque has cream added to give a thicker, creamier texture.
Looking for other delicious soup recipes? Try these!
Easy Vitamix Tomato Basil Soup (Ready In 10 Minutes!)
- Vitamix or other blender
- 1 28 ounce can tomatoes, whole peeled
- ½ cup broth, chicken or vegetable
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teapsoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- handful basil leaves
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Add all ingredients except heavy cream to a high power blender. Secure lid and blend on high power.
- If using a Vitamix blend until smooth and soup is heated. This will take around 6 minutes. Once heated pour in heavy cream.
- If you do not have a Vitamix you can blend in a food processor or use an immersion blender and heat soup on stove top.
- Pour soup into bowls and garnish with extra cream, chopped basil and cracked black pepper. Serve with crackers, grilled cheese or croutons.