When school is getting back into full swing moms need to be ready with a snack recipe that not only tastes great but is a healthy choice for their kiddos. This easy snack is made with simple ingredients including whole grains and healthy fats. Peanut butter oatmeal bars are the perfect fun recipe that can also work as a quick breakfast with a glass of milk!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Why These Peanut Butter Banana Bars Are the Best!
I love a quick one-bowl recipe that uses my pantry staples plus those overripe bananas that are lurking on my countertop. Those spotty bananas that are just a little too ripe to eat make the best banana bread and muffins! They are also perfect for these healthy oatmeal bars!
These snack bars may be ideal for the kids but who doesn't love the combo of peanut butter and chocolate? It is my favorite flavor combination and I found these bars great as a snack but also a heathy breakfast option with a cup of coffee!
Not only are these made with wholesome ingredients, if you are eating a gluten-free diet make sure to purchase certified gluten-free oats.
oats- rolled oats or old-fashioned oats are oats that are less processed than quick oats or the instant variety. This is the best type of oat when making cookies, granola bars or muffins because they hold up well and give the bars great texture.
natural peanut butter- has no added sugars or preservatives. You can use any peanut butter that you have on hand, even crunchy peanut butter will work in the recipe.
ripe bananas- save those speckled bananas that are a little too ripe to eat. The riper a banana the sweeter it becomes which means you do not need as much extra sweetener.
chocolate chips- I love dark chocolate chips, but milk chocolate is a great option for a little extra sweetness.
I love these oatmeal bars because all you need is one mixing bowl and a spoon to get the job done. No mixers necessary for these peanut butter banana oat bars!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with parchment paper. I like to cut the paper to fit the pan leaving long edges on the sides to use as handles. This makes it easier to lift it out of the pan and also easier to cut it into bars.
In a large bowl mash the bananas. Stir in the peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract into the mashed bananas.
Mix the oats, baking powder and salt into the wet ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips. These are totally optional but I highly recommend adding a bit of chocolate!
Spread the oat mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes, so the bars become golden brown.
Serve the bars warm or at room temperature. They are delicious with honey or a little extra creamy peanut butter drizzled over top.
How to Store
Keep bars fresh by storing in an airtight container on the counter for 3-4 days.
- Make handles with parchment paper by cutting a larger piece that overhangs on just the longer sides of your baking pan. This way you can easily lift and place the entire baked good on a cutting board for easier cutting.
- Let the bars cool for a few minutes before cutting.
These peanut butter banana oatmeal bars are very versatile. Here's a few optional ingredients if you are looking for variety!
- almond butter
- cashew butter
- sun butter -is actually sunflower seed butter made from roasted sunflower seeds. Because many schools do not allow nut butters at school, this is a great option if you are looking for a treat to pack in lunchboxes.
- substitute pure maple syrup for honey to make this a vegan recipe.
Is banana and peanut butter a healthy breakfast?
Bananas are high in potassium and magnesium which are essential vitamins are bodies need. When paired with peanut butter's healthy fat this healthy breakfast will keep you fueled all morning!
Looking For Other Snack Ideas? Try These!
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bars
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Fit a 13x9 in baking dish with parchment paper so that it is overlapping on the sides.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas until smooth.
- Add peanut butter, honey and vanilla extract to the mashed bananas. Stir well to combine.
- Add the oats, baking powder and salt to the banana mixture. Stir well and mix in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the mixture into the baking pan, pressing into the corners and making a smooth even layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before cutting into bars.