Healthy Turkey Chili is a warm comforting bowl of lean ground turkey, beans tomatoes and spices. This can easily be made on the stove top or crock pot. Chili is great for leftovers, meal planning and freezer meals, too!
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Can you substitute turkey for beef in chili?
Ground turkey substitutes well for beef in chili recipes. I have used ground turkey for years and have convinced the most skeptical people to give it a try. If flavored well you can't even tell the difference!
Ingredients for healthy turkey chili
- ground turkey
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- kidney beans
- pinto beans
- chili powder
I buy low sodium beans and tomato sauce when available. It’s easy to add extra salt if needed but not easy to take it away.
If you like extra spicy chili add the entire jalapeño. I always remove the seeds from jalapeños because they add extra heat.
Can Chili be healthy?
Turkey chili is a very healthy meal because it has lots of protein and fiber. To keep this a healthy meal watch the toppings that you add. Greek yogurt is always a great substitute for sour cream. Go easy on the cheese and chips that you eat with your chili. Those calories can really add up!
Can You freeze turkey chili?
Chili is a terrific make ahead recipe that you can freeze for 2-3 months. When freezing chili allow it to cool completely before putting it in the freezer. I like to use a freezer container and always label with the name and the date so that you don't have a mystery meal lurking in the freezer 6 months later.
How to REHEAT cooked chili
I remove my frozen chili the night before I want to eat it and let it defrost in the refrigerator over night. Even if the chili is a little frozen I can move it from the container to a pot and warm slowly on the stove top. If it is too frozen to come out of freezer container you can set the container in warm water for 30 minutes. This will help loosen the frozen chili so it will remove easier.
Turkey Chili in the slow cooker
I love making chili in a slow cooker or crockpot. You will need to cook it partially on the stove first. Start by sautéing the onions and jalapenos and brown the ground turkey in a skillet. Add everything to the crock pot along with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 6-7.
Serving chili in a slow cooker at parties
If you are planning a tailgate party, Super Bowl or pot luck serving chili in a slow cooker is always a crowd pleaser! I like to set my slow cooker with several different toppings on a serving table so everyone can help themselves and make their own chili concoction.
Toppings Ideas for Healthy Turkey Chili
- jalapeños, fresh or pickled
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- hot sauce
- tortilla chips
If you try this recipe for Healthy Turkey Chili, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
My Favorite Kitchen Tools!
Healthy Turkey Chili
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ -1 jalapeño, finely chopped *see notes
- 1 pound ground turkey (93/7)
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 -2 14 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 1 14 ounce can low sodium dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 14 ounce can low sodium pinto beans, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
Stove Top Directions
- Heat a large pot on medium heat with a teaspoon of olive oil. Add chopped onion and jalapeño and sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add ground turkey and brown while breaking down into small pieces with a cooking utensil.
- When cooked through drain fat from meat.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, drained beans and spices.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and cook low for at least 30 minutes or longer for flavors to develop more.
- Serve in a bowl with cheese, Greek yogurt and avocado.
Crockpot or Slowcooker Instructions
- Follow stovetop steps through step 3 and add cooked ground turkey and sautéed vegetables to a crockpot along with tomatoes, sauce beans and spices.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 6-7.