If you are a fan of the classic Italian Caprese salad, then you will love this Easy Skillet Caprese Chicken recipe! It has the same amazing flavors added to the top of a sautéed chicken breast. This low carb chicken dinner is a must if you need a quick week night dinner recipe.
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
After I made my Homemade Balsamic Glaze recipe my husband wanted it on everything! I’ve made Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze already three times this week! He’s been eating it for lunch and with dinner.
I decided to go one step farther and make this Easy Skillet Caprese Chicken. It’s a quick and easy dinner but looks so elegant. Plus I love the fact that it’s low carb!
What does caprese mean?
Caprese is a traditional Italian salad that consists of sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil and olive oil.
For this recipe, I’ve taken the salad components and added them to a sautéed chicken breast. It is a very simple recipe while being delicious and healthy!
Is caprese healthy?
This recipe for Easy Skillet Caprese Chicken is very healthy. Not only is a serving less than 400 calories, it is very low in carbs. Serve with fresh vegetables to complete this meal.
Ingredients in Skillet caprese Chicken
- boneless skinless chicken breast- you can use cutlets or the whole breast. I pounded mine with a meat mallet to get a more even thickness.
- olive oil-use a high quality extra virgin variety.
- salt-a sprinkle of sea salt
- pepper- grind cracked black pepper
- fresh mozzarella-use fresh mozzarella, which is made into a ball shape and stored in a liquid. Fresh mozzarella has a shorter shelf life and will need to be used very soon after opening the package. It has a mild flavor and creamy texture.
- tomatoes-I find the ripest tomatoes for my Caprese chicken. I choose a small vine ripened Campari, but any tomato can work!
- fresh basil- fresh is best for this recipe so do not substitute dried herbs.
- balsamic glaze-you can buy store bought glaze however, it is so simple to make and my version has only 1 ingredient! Check out my Homemade Balsamic Glaze recipe.
How to make Caprese Chicken
First, trim your chicken breast of any fat. I like to pound mine a little with a meat mallet just to make the breast more uniform in size so that it cooks more evenly and quickly.
Heat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. When skillet is hot add the chicken breast. Cook for five minutes, and then flip your chicken and cook for about 10 minutes more or until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. If your chicken breast is very thick this will take longer.
Once chicken is cooked, add mozzarella and slices of tomatoes. Cover with lid and allow the cheese to melt for 1-2 minutes. Garnish with balsamic, fresh basil and a few twists of salt and pepper.
What to serve with Caprese chicken
I like to keep this a low carb recipe and serve vegetables on the side. Steamed or roasted asparagus, broccoli or green beans are all great options.
If you try this recipe for Easy Skillet Caprese Chicken, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and don’t forget to snap a pic and tag it #bluesbestlife on Instagram! Seeing your creations makes my day.
Pin for Later!
My Favorite Kitchen Tools!
Easy Skillet Caprese Chicken
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 6 slices mozzarella
- 4 Campari or Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, sliced
- balsamic glaze
- Heat a non stick skillet over medium high heat.
- Prepare chicken by trimming away any fat and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil to hot skillet. When oil is hot add chicken breast. Cook for 4-5 minutes on first side, then flip and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink an internal temperature reaches 165°.
- When chicken is cooked through, turn heat down and add two mozzarella slices to each piece of chicken. Top with tomato slices and allow cheese to melt while still in skillet. Cover with lid to help speed up the process.
- When cheese is melted top with balsalmic glaze, fresh basil and an extra pinch of salt and pepper.
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady
Oh wow what a wonderfully delicious chicken recipe. We love caprese salad, so I bet this would be fantastic. I will be trying this soon!
Definitely gonna give it a try. Looks like a recipe i can pull off. Thanks for sharing!
My daughter would love this - all her favourites things in one dish. Quite quick to make too which is helpful.
Yummy recipe. So you're aware, your 3rd and 4th instructions are the same. And you said to fry them for 45 minutes, not 4-5. 🙂
Hi Ayra! Thank you for catching that mistake!