If you are looking for an easy snack recipe that is sure to please, try this cheesy Chex mix recipe! This yummy snack combines cheesy, salty and crunchy for the perfect party mix snack.
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Why This Cheese Chex Mix Is The Best!
Homemade Chex mix is one of my favorite snack mixes and it's so much better than the store-bought stuff. I have fond memories of my mom making this for us kids. It's perfect for an after school snack, movie night or game day!
Turning the original recipe into a cheesy snack mix is easy with just a few simple ingredient changes. This homemade cheddar Chex mix is loaded with cheese flavor and has that crunchy goodness we crave from a good Chex mix recipe!
Chex cereal- you can use corn, rice or wheat Chex. I prefer corn but feel free to use your favorite cereal.
cheese powder- cheddar cheese powder can be found in your local grocery store. It is sold as a popcorn seasoning so look for it in the isle with microwavable popcorn.
cheese crackers-any cheese cracker will work. I used Cheese-It brand crackers.
pretzels- I used two varieties of pretzels, but you can just use one type. I used mini pretzels and also pretzel pieces. Both are cheese flavored to add to the cheesiness of the Chex mix.
butter- I used unsalted butter for the recipe. Because the seasoning mix has so much sodium already I didn't want to add more salt.
Preheat your oven to 250 degrees. The key to Chex mix is to bake at a low temperature for a longer period of time.
In an extra large bowl combine the cereal, pretzels, crackers and peanuts. Gently mix together being careful to not crush the cereal.
In a small microwavable safe bowl microwave butter. Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and seasoned salt to the melted butter. Add the hot sauce for an extra kick. This is not a lot so you could add more hot sauce or even cayenne pepper if you want your Chex mix really spicy.
Pour butter mixture over the cereal while stirring to evenly coat the cereal mixture.
Spread mixture over a rimmed baking tray and place in preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
After baking allow cheese Chex mix to completely cool before storing. It is very tempting to start munching on this. The spices smell amazing when its baking in the oven.
Chex mix can be stored once it has cooled in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, but it never lasts that long!
There are so many different things that can be added to Chex mix. This recipe is pretty forgiving so feel free to add or subtract ingredients to your preferences. As long as the mixture adds up to around 10-11 total cups of cereal and crackers for the butter and seasoning to soak into.
Here's a few ideas for customizing your Chex mix recipe.
- mini breadsticks
- bagel chips
- oyster crackers
- any type of pretzel
- parmesan cheese crisps
- rye chips
- any type of cheesy crackers
Looking For Other Snack Recipes? Try These!
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe Here to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Easy Homemade Cheesy Chex Mix
- rimmed baking tray
- 7 cups Chex cereal (corn, rice or wheat)
- 2 cups pretzels (I used 2 different cheese varieties)
- 2 cups cheese crackers ( I used Cheese Its)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup cocktail peanuts
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cheese powder
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl add cereal, pretzels, crackers, and peanuts.
- In a separate small bowl, melt the butter. Add the spices, cheese powder, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Stir well to combine all spices into the butter mixture.
- Slowly, pour butter mixture over the cereal while stirring to evenly coat the cereal with butter.
- Once the cereal mixture is coated, pour onto a rimmed baking sheet. Place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes to insure all pieces brown and crisp evenly.
- When finished baking allow to cool before transfering to an airtight container. Chex mix will stay fresh for up to 2 week ( although it will not last that long).