A fresh fruit crumble is the best way to make an easy dessert that is sure to be a crowd pleaser! With the combination of juicy strawberries, tart apples and a delicious crumbly topping, this strawberry apple crumble is perfect for potlucks, holidays or any occasion.
(Blue’s Best Life is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. I earn a small commission if you purchase through those links. This helps me keep the blog going! -Bobbie)
Why This Strawberry Crumble is the Best!
This great dessert uses simple ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry! With the addition of a few large apples and sweet strawberries you can make a delicious dessert that is sure to be a huge hit!
Crumble recipes are an easy dessert. If you can't perfect a pie crust then a crumble is for you! To assemble this quick dessert you add the fruit to a baking dish and add small clumps of the crumble to the top of fruit. It could not be any easier! This really is a foolproof dessert recipe!
The best part of the strawberry crumble is the sugary and buttery topping! it turns a beautiful golden brown as it bakes.
apples- I used Honeycrisp apples for this recipe. Use your favorite baking apple. Granny Smith apples are always a go to baking apple. Avoid apples that become mushy when baking like Macintosh or Fuji apples.
strawberries- fresh strawberries are the best for this recipe. I do not recommend using frozen strawberries.
unsalted butter- use cold unsalted butter to cut into the flour for the best results.
Start by washing and chopping the strawberries removing the core.
Next peel, core and slice your apples. Make sure to cut them in small uniform pieces so they cook faster and more evenly. This is the most tedious part of the recipe but once this is finished the rest comes together quickly.
Once the apples are peeled add them to a large bowl and toss with lemon juice. Add both types of sugar, all purpose flour and the spices. Use a wooden spoon to stir and coat the apples with the filling ingredients. Add the strawberries and gently incorporate into the mixture.
Pour the fruit into a 9x13 baking dish.
Add the remaining flour brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking powder. Mix the dry ingredients well before adding the butter. Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture. The course crumbs will resemble wet sand.
Pour the crumble mixture over the top of the fruit and press down gently. The beauty of a crumble is that it does not need to be perfect!
Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. To check if the crumble is finished baking, stick a butter knife in a few spots to check the softness of the apples. They should not be crunchy but soft in texture. The strawberries will release a lot of juice making a delicious syrup. It may bubble up a bit around the edge of the crumble. If the top is becoming to brown before the apples are softened you can cover with a piece of aluminum foil.
To serve this fruit crumble scoop into a bowl or plate and top with either a scoop of vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream.
Crumbles are best the day of when they are bubbly and freshly baked out of the oven, however you can reheat a piece in the microwave. Keep your apple strawberry crumble in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Microwave on high for 30-45 seconds.
- If you do not have a pastry cutter you can use a food processor or grate the butter with a box grater.
- Use cold butter when cutting into the flour. You can even pop the butter in the freezer for a few minutes while preparing the other ingredients.
If you do not have all of the spices on hand you can use extra cinnamon in place of nutmeg, allspice and ginger.
What kind of apples should I use?
I used my family's favorite apple which is Honeycrisp, but you can use whatever type of apple you have readily available of what is on sale. You can also use a combination of different apples. Granny Smith is always a great
How Do I Make My Crumble Topping Crisp?
Baking at a lower temperature will insure the fruit softens and the topping becomes a beautiful golden brown color.
What’s the difference between crisp and crumble?
A crisp recipe is very similar to a crumble except it has oats added to the streusel mixture.
LookiNg for Other Delicious Dessert Recipes? Try These!
Did you try this recipe? Please let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, and a 5- star rating. I would love to hear from you! Subscribe to get new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Easy Strawberry and Apple Crumble Recipe
- 7 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon all spice
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and slice the strawberries in a uniform size.
- Next peel, core and slice apples into thin slices. It is important to cut the pieces into a uniform size to ensure the cook quicker and more evenly.
- Add the apples to a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice. Add the spices, sugar and flour and toss to coat.
- Careful stir in the strawberries being gentle to not smash the berry.
- Pour the fruit mixture into a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Prepare the crumble topping by mixing the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Use a pastry blender to cut in the cutter until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Sprinkle the crumbly mixture over the top of the fruit. Spread evenly and pat down gently.
- Bake in a preheated oven in the center rack position for 35-40 minutes. Check with a butter knife inserted in the crumble for the apples to be cooked until soft and no longer crunchy. Top will be golden brown and strawberries will create a delicious red syrup.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm with either a scoop of vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream.